Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Juban’s Restaurant


A GreatRestaurant located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

When I first started going to Baton Rouge, many years ago, Juban’s was the second restaurant that I fell in love with. I will tell you about the first in another post. I have loved Juban’s since the first time I had dinner there and I make a serious effort to go to Juban’s every time I am in Baton Rouge.

The food at Juban’s is an extraordinary example of Louisiana cooking (See the soft-shell crab above). I have never had anything that I didn’t consider very good and almost everything I have ever had there was wonderful. I love both lunch and dinner at Juban’s. You really can’t go wrong eating at Juban’s.

Juban’s wine list is somewhat extraordinary. They have a wide selection that should satisfy the most discerning palette. If the wine list has a weakness it would be in the lower price ranges although I have always been able to find very drinkable wines that didn’t completely break the bank.

I have eaten at Juban’s so many times that I can’t remember how many times I have eaten there. I have sat at the bar alone and had my dinner served on a white cloth napkin. And I have had as many as twentyfour guests there for dinner. (Every time I have had dinner at the bar, I have ended up meeting someone or several people that were fun and interesting. One time I met the speaker of the Louisiana Senate, it turned out that we had a friend in common)

I once took about a dozen guests there after a conference we were all attending was canceled because a hurricane was rushing towards Baton Rouge. We decided that trying to fight the interstate traffic would be less obnoxious at 5 am the next morning than at 6 pm that evening. (The storm was forecast to hit around 11 am the next morning) So we went to Juban’s and had a fantastic dinner. It worked; there was almost no traffic early the next morning and we all made it out before the storm really hit.

Juban’s is a white tablecloth restaurant located in what seems to be a bizarrely typical Louisiana location, an old, rundown, strip mall. Once you get past the vast expanse of the parking lot and into the restaurant itself, you find yourself in a whole nother world. The décor is fantastic yet warm. The bar area is a great place to sit and visit with friends. There are private rooms for groups ranging from twelve to a bunch (ask them). The dining rooms can be a little noisy but are never to loud to visit with your friends.

I have met the owner who is friendly and outgoing. The staff is considerate and has always gone out of their way to do a great job.

Juban’s is a GreatRestaurant that is a must go to if you are ever in Baton Rouge. In fact if you are ever near Baton Rouge, you should make an effort to be at Juban's for dinner.

Check them out at http://www.jubans.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment