Thursday, March 26, 2009

Cinema Cafe

A GreatRestaurant located at 45 East 60th Street just a few blocks from the south end of Central Park in New York City.

I have only been to the Cinema Café once, for lunch. I was returning from a visit on the floor of the NYSE. It was my second time on the floor. My first visit had been at least twenty years ago. The NYSE had really changed since my previous visit but one thing that remained the same is the sense of awe one feels at walking on that hallowed floor of capitalism.

But back to the point, I gotten off a subway and was walking back to my hotel. It was past lunch time and I was looking for some neighborhood place to grab a bite. I noticed this little café filled with sort of cheesy looking old film posters and I almost walked on past. What got my attention was that it was still full of people at about 2:00 in the afternoon. I checked out the menu and it looked interesting so I decided to try it. Unknowingly, I had made a great choice.

I shared one of their "slider" dishes, two Kobe beef Burgers with crimini mushrooms, melted brie and truffle aioli. It was absolutely delicious, no, beyond delicious, it was wonderful. Without a doubt, it was the best "hamburger" kind of a dish I have ever had. My only regret was that I had shared it and only got to have one of the two sliders that came with the order.

Their Wild Mushroom Pizza with crimini, shiitake, oyster and button mushrooms tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella was very good. (I shared that too) But on a do-over, I would have an order, or maybe two orders, of the Kobe beef Burger sliders and I wouldn't share them with anyone. They could get their own orders. They are that good.

I am not sure of the story but I believe that the Cinema Café on 60th Street was once part a group of three or four restaurants, all called the Cinema Café. I understand that this one is now an independent, stand alone, restaurant. There appear to be three other "Cinema Café's" in the City. I have not been to them and I can't vouch for them.

You may ask why I have only been to the Cinema Café once. It was the last day of my trip when I stumbled upon it. I fully intended to go back for dinner and have several of those wonderful Kobe beef Burger sliders for dinner but I waited a little too late and they were closed by the time I got back. Oh well, I thought that all the restaurants in NYC stayed open late, this one didn't.

I will go back again, next time I am in NYC.

The Cinema Café on 60th is a GreatRestaurant if for nothing else than their Kobe beef Burger sliders. I would like to try some of their other dishes but I would have to get tired of their sliders before I ventured out to try new things.

I don't know of a web site that is exclusively theirs. If you google "The Cimena Café" you will get the web site for the other three restaurants. I did find an indirect link for the restaurant and it is

http://www.menuism.com/links/show/b7M8GMjW0r3BqKaby-t3N_

If that doesn't work, their address is 45 East 60th Street and their phone number is 212-750-7500. Check them out next time you are in the NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment